Lawsuit Filed in Princess Anne Carbon Monoxide Deaths

Mar 30, 2017

Credit creative commons

A lawsuit has been filed in the deaths of an eight member family in Princess Anne from carbon monoxide poisoning.

In 2015 Rodney Todd and his seven children died at their home after using a generator when their electricity was turned off by Delmarva Power.

Authorities ruled their deaths an accident.

Todd’s ex-wife and mother filed suit against the power company in U.S. District Court on behalf of the family and the estate.

The Salisbury Daily Times reports that they are seeking punitive damages but not amount has not been specified.

The lawsuit says that Delmarva Power had cutoff service in October of 2014 and removed a stolen meter box for safety reasons and without giving notice.

At the time of their deaths in early April temperatures were near zero.

Maryland law says power cannot be terminated between November through the end of March without providing notice.

The lawsuit claims that the power company created and “increased the risk of physical harm” to the family.