humpback whale

Video by Troy Bickle

The Ocean City Fishing Pier got an unusual visitor.

A whale was caught on video bumping into the structure around noon on Friday.

It was taken by 25-year-old Troy Bickle from Pennsylvania and shows the whale break out of the water before it flipped its large tale and swam away.

He told the Salisbury Daily Times that he never thought he would experience anything like that.

Bickle said he saw a wave coming toward the pier when the whale showed up.

A dead humpback whale was found beached over the weekend at the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge.

The Virginia Aquarium got word of the immature female mid-day on Sunday.

The Salisbury Daily Times reports that there were no immediate indications on how the animal died but there was no evidence of human interaction.

Humpbacks can be anywhere from 48 feet to 62 feet long and weigh as much as 40 tons.

The paper reports that dead whales washing up on the Virginia shore is not unusual.

virginia aquarium marine science center

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) - A third dead humpback whale has been spotted in the Hampton Roads area this month.

Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center spokesman Matt Klepeisz says a male juvenile humpback whale came ashore on Virginia Beach either Saturday night or Sunday morning.

Aquarium stranding team coordinator Alex Costidis tells The Virginian-Pilot that the 30-foot-long whale had three large wounds that were probably caused by propellers. He estimated the whale was 2 to 4 years old and weighed 13,000 to 16,000 pounds.

Chesapeake Bay and Tunnel website

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) - A Virginia Aquarium official says a juvenile humpback whale found dead near the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel might have been injured by a ship's propeller.

Matt Klepeisz, spokesman for the Virginia Aquarium in Virginia Beach, tells WTOP-FM for a story Sunday that official lab results are pending. But he says an initial exam showed wounds on the whale consistent with a strike by a large propeller.

The carcass was found Thursday morning. The aquarium's Stranding Response Team towed the body to Craney Island near the mouth of the Elizabeth River.